As Nashville transitions to the long-term recovery stage, this blog will be less frequently updated. Please note that some links to other websites may have changed over the course of time. The email box will continue to be monitored.

Latest Update: 03/21/11 New Post on tax information and updated Tax Refunds and Credits Page.

New IRS information

The IRS has issued a reminder to flood victims about tax filing.  The text is below:

IRS Alerts Flood Victims to April 18 Filing Deadline
AL/TN-2011-16, March 18, 2011

NASHVILLE – The Internal Revenue Service today reminded Tennesseans that those affected by the 2010 floods and storms who want to seek tax relief using their 2009 federal income tax return must file or amend their 2009 return no later than April 18, 2011. There is no filing extension available for those exercising this option.

Affected taxpayers in any of the 46 Tennessee counties declared federal disaster areas after the May 2010 floods and storms generally have the option of claiming a casualty loss on their 2009 or 2010 federal income tax return. Only those in the federally-declared counties have this option.

“The casualty loss rules for 2009 differ from those for 2010, so filers must decide which rules are the most beneficial for their own situation,” Boone said. "Those who want to use their 2009 return to claim a casualty loss that occurred in 2010 must file or amend that return by April 18, 2011."

According to Boone, many flood or storm victims may benefit from claiming a casualty loss with the IRS, especially those who did not have insurance.

Taxpayers who were casualty/disaster victims in 2010 should consider all these tax benefits:

1. Affected taxpayers in a Presidentially-declared county are generally eligible to:
File or amend their 2009 federal tax return by April 18, 2011, to claim 2010 casualty losses.
Get expedited copies of prior year tax returns and have the fees waived.
2. Storm or flood victims who replaced heating and air systems, windows, doors, insulation or other items related to energy efficiency should check to see if they are eligible for the Residential Energy Credit. The credit is a maximum of $1500 for 2009 and 2010 expenditures combined. To determine which items qualify for the tax credit, visit .
3. To receive expedited service from the IRS, flood or storm victims must put the disaster designation, "Tennessee/Severe Storms, Flooding, Straight-Line Winds and Tornadoes," at the top of any tax return or correspondence sent to the IRS.
4. Forms and publications are available at for calculating disaster losses and seeking tax breaks. Visit the "Disaster Assistance and Emergency Relief for Individuals and Businesses " page.
5. Taxpayers with questions about casualty losses can call the IRS Disaster Assistance hotline toll-free at 1-866-562-5227.
Taxpayers can also visit the Legal Aid Society website, , to read a booklet entitled, "2010 Tax Guide for Flood Victims," or to watch a video about gathering documents needed for filing a casualty loss claim. The Legal Aid Society is not connected with the Internal Revenue Service, but both LAS and IRS have partnered with organizations and agencies to help flood victims.